Apply now for the next round. Deadline: 30 September (extended to October 2)
The ERCIM fellowship scheme helps young scientists to improve their knowledge of European research structures and networks and to gain more insight into the working conditions of leading European research institutions. The fellowships are of one year duration (with a possible extension), spent in one of the ERCIM member institutes. Fellows can apply for a second year in a different institute.
Why applying for an ERCIM Fellowship?
The Fellowship Programme enables bright young scientists from all over the world to work on a challenging problem as fellows of leading European research centers. In addition, an ERCIM fellowship helps widen and intensify the network of personal relations and understanding among scientists.
The programme offers the opportunity to ERCIM fellows:
- to work with internationally recognized experts;
- to improve knowledge about European research structures and networks;
- to become familiarized with working conditions in leading European research centres;
- to promote cross-fertilization and cooperation, through the fellowships, between research groups working in similar areas in different laboratories.
- have obtained a PhD degree during the last eight years (prior to the year of the application deadline) or be in the last year of the thesis work;
- be fluent in English;
- have completed their PhD before starting the grant.
- The fellows are appointed either by a stipend (an agreement for a research training programme) or a working contract. The type of contract and the monthly allowance/salary depends on the hosting institute.
Deadlines for applications are currently 30 April and 30 September each year. Since its inception in 1991, over 500 fellows have passed through the programme. In 2019, 53 young scientists commenced an ERCIM PhD fellowship and 79 fellows have been hosted during the year. Since 2005, the Fellowship Programme is named in honour of Alain Bensoussan, former president of Inria, one of the three ERCIM founding institutes.