New ERCIM Working Group Fluid Mechanics established
by Ullrich Becker-Lemgau
The kick-off meeting of the new ERCIM working group on Fluid Mechanics was held in GMD, Sankt Augustin, 26 May 1998. It was hosted by the Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing of GMD.
So far four ERCIM institutes participate in the new working group:
- CWI, Computational Fluid Dynamics Group
- FORTH, Institute of Applied and Computational Mathematics
- INRIA, research team M3N Multi-Models and Numerical Methods
- GMD, Institute for Algorithms and Scientific Computing.
Two main research areas in the context of Computational Fluid Dynamics were chosen to build the focus of the working group:
- multidisciplinary applications (coupling)
- shallow water equations (numeric, solver, applications).
Especially multi-disciplinary applications were given much potential for the near future. In nearly every area of applications covered by the participating institutes the need for tools and numerical algorithms to solve coupled problems is increasing. The main focus of the working group will be the definition of a joint project and the organisation of a workshop as a result of this project. Research groups of other ERCIM institutes that are interested in joining the working group are requested to contact the chairman. For more information, see: http://www.gmd.de/SCAI/scicomp/ERCIM/fluid-dynamics/
Ullrich Becker-Lemgau GMD
Working Group chairman
Tel: +49 2241 14 2369